- Changes to overseas working holiday tax
- Employment and the 457 visa
- Exciting new service offering at YML!
- Right Corporate Structuring
- Stamp Duty
- Annual Wage Review
- Interest Only Loans
- GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES CHANGES TO THE WORKING HOLIDAY VISA MAKER PROGRAM
- Six Things that Can Keep a Business from Growing
- ATO ANNUAL REPORT
- How The Cloud and Automation Make Business Management Easier
- Avoiding the Wealth Creation Con Artists
- Why Business Owners Should Think Like Futurists
- Buying Property? Why You Should Care About Interest Rates
- Buying property through SMSF – what are the rules?
- 4 reasons to consider refinancing your home loan
- Big data for small business
- Does your super fund provide enough life insurance cover?
- HIFX - INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT EXPERTLY DONE
- Succession plan basics for small business
- Budget Alert – Should you put in place a Transition to Retirement strategy?
- FBT 2016 - WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
- How New Laws May Impact Your Use of an Earnout Right when Buying or Selling a Business.
- Transfer of Business Assets & Private Company Shares
- Financial Future Checklist
- Matters to Consider Before Setting Up an SMSF
- 6 Things that Work Better in The Cloud
- Can better inventory management improve business performance for Manufacturers?
- Should you register for GST?
- 5 Top Causes Of Stress for Small Business Owners Open page Preview for 5 Top Causes Of Stress for Small Business Owners
- 5 Reasons for Cash Flow Problems in Small Businesses
- Key man insurance, who do you need to insure?
- Finance options for buying a car
- Buying A Business? 5 Red Flags to Watch Out For
- Should You Take Your Small Business National?
- Upfront costs when buying a home and how you could save
- Insourcing vs outsourcing vs co-sourcing
- 7 Useful Web-Based Software Programs for SMEs
- Saving Tax Through Successful Loan Structuring
- Buy/sell agreements - do you need one?
- New Work Tax Exemption (WTE) granted to SMSF Members
- New Tax Relief Introduction – Parliamentary Bill 2019
- Australian Immigration Visa Changes from 1st July 2019
- Land Tax Surcharge and You
- YML Insight April 2015
- Tax Liabilities to be reported to Credit Agencies
- Business Process Improvement
- 2015 Federal Budget Report
- Business Valuation
- YML Insight June 2015
- Prepaying Interest
- Superannuation Contributions at EOFY
- Financial Year End Planning
- How Business Process Outsourcing can bring value to your customers through technology
- Equity Crowd-Funding
- Mortgage Insurance
- 457 Visa
- Insurance in Super
- GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION (GSM)
- Super Guarantee – What Happens When You Get It Wrong
- Business Process Outsourcing – Take the Technology View
- The Importance of Estate Planning
- PRINCIPAL-AND-INTEREST VS INTEREST-ONLY
- UPDATE YOUR WILL
- SAFE HARBOUR FOR DIRECTORS OF STRUGGLING COMPANIES
- PENDING 457 VISA CHANGES in MARCH 2018
- REMINDERS! LAND TAX REGISTRATION and DEED OF VARIATION
- UPDATING SMSF TRUST DEEDS
- SMSF - $1.6 MILLION TRANSFER BALANCE CAP
- CONTRACTOR vs. EMPLOYEE – EMPLOYER OBLIGATIONS
- RPA for VEHICLE FLEET MANAGEMENT
- TRUST DISTRIBUTION IN 2018
- TAX PLANNING
- THE IMPORTANCE OF WITHDRAWING YOUR MINIMUM PENSION
- AUDIT INSURANCE – ATO Increasing Audit Activity in the Areas of Income Tax and Supe
- What does the NEW 482 Visa mean for your business?
- GST on Property Transactions has changed from 1 July
- YML MIGRATION – WHAT CAN WE DO FOR YOU?
- INVESTMENT LOANS – IS IT WORTH TAKING OUT PRINCIPAL + INTEREST at 3.89% RATE*?
- GLOBAL TALENT SCHEME – Get the expertise your company needs…
- It’s started – Single Touch Payroll (STP)
- CAR LOAN – HERE’S AN OFFER
- Over 65? Downsize your home to contribute to your super!
- NEW Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) Levy
- Superannuation Guarantee Amnesty – Self-Correct your past Super Guarantee Liability
- Non-Residents and SMSFs – Tax Alert!
- Proposed Partner Visa Changes – NEW Two-Step Process
- Should I ‘fix’ my home loan?
- Working with Remote Staff – Business Process Outsourcing
- ATO Payment Arrangements – Avoid Overseas Travel Ban
- Taxable Payments – New Compliance for Couriers and Cleaners
- Government announces Changes to the Working Holiday Maker Programme
- NEWS! CGT Main Residence Exemption to End for Foreign Residents
- YML Insight July 2015
- BUY / SELL Insurance – What is it and how can it help your business?
- YML Insight August 2015
- Working from home: What deductions can you claim?
- Applying For A Mortgage Is No ‘Walk in the Park’
- Small Business Instant Asset Write-Off : NOW up to $25,000
- POWER BI - BUSINESS DATA TOOL
- Employees : Time and Attendance Platforms
- Stepping Stone to 482 Visa – The Subclass 407 Training Visa
- The Importance of Estate Planning
- FBT 2019 – What’s new?
- Tax Time Checklist for Individuals
- Single Touch Payroll – NOW Mandatory for ALL Businesses
- Welcome your parents to join you in Australia with the NEW five year Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa
- Tax Planning and Restructuring to suit your Business
- Federal Budget 2019 – Immigration to Australia NEWS
- NOW is the time to consider your Year-End Super Contributions
- Federal Budget May 2016 - Superannuation and Social Security
- Federal Budget 2014-15 Update
- Federal Election 2019 Outcome – What it means for you
- STP – COMPULSORY Cloud-based Payroll Reporting
- AI and RPA changing the Future of Work
- SuperStream Deadline for Small Employers
- Superannuation Year End Considerations Continue!
- YML Insight February 2015
- Happy NEW Financial Year – ATO Changes Update
- Does your SMSF have an investment strategy?
- Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) – Remote / Offshore
- YML Insight March 2015
- Other Topics
- FAMILY TRUST DEED VARIATION
- ENCOURAGING NEWS FOR Permanent residency (pr) APPLICANTS
- TSS has replaced 457 Visa Program – What is TSS?
- Introducing YML Migration
- WORK RELATED CAR EXPENSES - WHAT'S LEGAL?
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PAY OFF YOUR DEBTS?
- Business Protection Insurance
- Aiming to Make a Final Non Concessional Superannuation Contribution for 2016? Be Careful!
- Getting Organized and Planning Effectively This EOFY
- New Withholding for Non Residents
- Four Per Cent Stamp Duty Surcharge for Overseas Investors Buying Residential Real Estate in NSW
- Co-Sourcing: An Alternative To Out-Sourcing
- What Small Business Expenses Can You Claim?
- Israeli Tax of Trusts
- New Superannuation Rules
- YML Group App - Coming Soon
- Obtaining a Business Skills Visa
- Quick Tips to Pay Off Your Mortgage Sooner
- FBT on Christmas Gifts and Tax Deductibility of Christmas Parties
- Changes to the Assets Test for Centrelink Aged Pensions from January 1st 2017
- Why You Should Consider Co-Sourcing for your Business
- Is It Worth Fixing Your Loan?
- Co- Sourcing
- Shareholder's Agreements
The FBT year in Australia is from 1 April and ending 31 March the following year, so now is the time to ensure that you are up-to-date with the latest FBT developments in the areas of focus for the ATO.
For the FBT year ended 31 March 2018, the FBT rate has dropped from 49% last year to 47% this year due to the cessation of the temporary budget repair levy from 30 June 2017.
FBT applies to benefits, given to employees in lieu of or in addition to salary or wages, received and this tax is paid directly to the ATO by employers. Benefits received may include such items as vehicles, car parking, housing, private loans and even, these days, Bitcoin.
The ATO has identified two concerns - employers’ failure to identify and report FBT on items and employers incorrectly applying exemption provisions when reporting taxable value on items – in the four areas of concern for the ATO. Let’s delve further…
Where an employer is required to lodge a FBT return, what do you need to know about:
It is necessary for an employer to verify that a FBT exemption applies to the provision of a motor vehicle to an employee for private use. In addition to supplying this verification to the ATO, the ATO is looking for an employer to keep sufficient records to support an exemption.
To ensure that an employer reports employee contributions as income on their income tax return and does not overstate the employee contribution amount in order to reduce an FBT liability, the ATO is focussing on finding accurate declarations on both the FBT return and the employer’s income tax return.
Some employers claim a FBT rebate despite being ineligible to do so. You need to check that you are a rebatable employer and if you are not, then you should ensure you are eligible to receive a FBT rebate before making a claim.
Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA)?
An employer pays a LAFHA to an employee to compensate an employee for additional expenses incurred and for the fact of being away from home whilst employment duties require an employee to live away from their usual residence.
It is important to only claim FBT for eligible employees and to obtain declarations from those eligible employees. Claiming for invalid circumstances or keeping insufficient records of the accommodation and meal components will also be closely looked at by the ATO.
It pays to understand how FBT applies in these areas. To minimise your FBT liability, at YML Group we can prepare and lodge your FBT return and/or calculate any employee contribution.
Our fee for the preparation and lodgement of an FBT return is from $500+ GST and for the calculation of an employee contribution is $250+ GST per item.
How can YML help?
Talk to our Accountants today to see how YML Chartered Accountants can assist you with FBT. Contact us on (02) 8383 4400 or by visiting the Contact Us page on our website.