- Six Things that Can Keep a Business from Growing
- Avoiding the Wealth Creation Con Artists
- Why Business Owners Should Think Like Futurists
- 4 reasons to consider refinancing your home loan
- Does your super fund provide enough life insurance cover?
- Succession plan basics for small business
- Matters to Consider Before Setting Up an SMSF
- Should you register for GST?
- Finance options for buying a car
- 7 Useful Web-Based Software Programs for SMEs
- ATO ANNUAL REPORT
- How The Cloud and Automation Make Business Management Easier
- Buying Property? Why You Should Care About Interest Rates
- Buying property through SMSF – what are the rules?
- Big data for small business
- HIFX - INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT EXPERTLY DONE
- Budget Alert – Should you put in place a Transition to Retirement strategy?
- FBT 2016 - WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
- How New Laws May Impact Your Use of an Earnout Right when Buying or Selling a Business.
- Transfer of Business Assets & Private Company Shares
- Financial Future Checklist
- 6 Things that Work Better in The Cloud
- Can better inventory management improve business performance for Manufacturers?
- 5 Top Causes Of Stress for Small Business Owners Open page Preview for 5 Top Causes Of Stress for Small Business Owners
- 5 Reasons for Cash Flow Problems in Small Businesses
- Key man insurance, who do you need to insure?
- Buying A Business? 5 Red Flags to Watch Out For
- Should You Take Your Small Business National?
- Upfront costs when buying a home and how you could save
- Insourcing vs outsourcing vs co-sourcing
- Saving Tax Through Successful Loan Structuring
- Buy/sell agreements - do you need one?
- Changes to overseas working holiday tax
- Employment and the 457 visa
- Exciting new service offering at YML!
- Right Corporate Structuring
- Stamp Duty
- Annual Wage Review
- Interest Only Loans
- GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES CHANGES TO THE WORKING HOLIDAY VISA MAKER PROGRAM
- Federal Budget 2014-15 Update
- YML Insight February 2015
- YML Insight March 2015
- YML Insight April 2015
- 2015 Federal Budget Report
- YML Insight June 2015
- YML Insight July 2015
- YML Insight August 2015
- POWER BI - BUSINESS DATA TOOL
- The Importance of Estate Planning
- Tax Time Checklist for Individuals
- Federal Budget May 2016 - Superannuation and Social Security
- SuperStream Deadline for Small Employers
- Land Tax Surcharge and You
- Tax Liabilities to be reported to Credit Agencies
- Business Process Improvement
- Business Valuation
- Prepaying Interest
- Superannuation Contributions at EOFY
- Financial Year End Planning
- How Business Process Outsourcing can bring value to your customers through technology
- Equity Crowd-Funding
- Mortgage Insurance
- 457 Visa
- Insurance in Super
- GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION (GSM)
- Super Guarantee – What Happens When You Get It Wrong
- Business Process Outsourcing – Take the Technology View
- The Importance of Estate Planning
- PRINCIPAL-AND-INTEREST VS INTEREST-ONLY
- UPDATE YOUR WILL
- SAFE HARBOUR FOR DIRECTORS OF STRUGGLING COMPANIES
- PENDING 457 VISA CHANGES in MARCH 2018
- REMINDERS! LAND TAX REGISTRATION and DEED OF VARIATION
- UPDATING SMSF TRUST DEEDS
- SMSF - $1.6 MILLION TRANSFER BALANCE CAP
- CONTRACTOR vs. EMPLOYEE – EMPLOYER OBLIGATIONS
- RPA for VEHICLE FLEET MANAGEMENT
- TRUST DISTRIBUTION IN 2018
- TAX PLANNING
- THE IMPORTANCE OF WITHDRAWING YOUR MINIMUM PENSION
- AUDIT INSURANCE – ATO Increasing Audit Activity in the Areas of Income Tax and Supe
- What does the NEW 482 Visa mean for your business?
- GST on Property Transactions has changed from 1 July
- YML MIGRATION – WHAT CAN WE DO FOR YOU?
- INVESTMENT LOANS – IS IT WORTH TAKING OUT PRINCIPAL + INTEREST at 3.89% RATE*?
- GLOBAL TALENT SCHEME – Get the expertise your company needs…
- It’s started – Single Touch Payroll (STP)
- CAR LOAN – HERE’S AN OFFER
- Over 65? Downsize your home to contribute to your super!
- NEW Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) Levy
- Superannuation Guarantee Amnesty – Self-Correct your past Super Guarantee Liability
- Non-Residents and SMSFs – Tax Alert!
- Proposed Partner Visa Changes – NEW Two-Step Process
- Should I ‘fix’ my home loan?
- Working with Remote Staff – Business Process Outsourcing
- ATO Payment Arrangements – Avoid Overseas Travel Ban
- Taxable Payments – New Compliance for Couriers and Cleaners
- Government announces Changes to the Working Holiday Maker Programme
- NEWS! CGT Main Residence Exemption to End for Foreign Residents
- BUY / SELL Insurance – What is it and how can it help your business?
- Working from home: What deductions can you claim?
- Applying For A Mortgage Is No ‘Walk in the Park’
- Small Business Instant Asset Write-Off : NOW up to $25,000
- Employees : Time and Attendance Platforms
- Stepping Stone to 482 Visa – The Subclass 407 Training Visa
- FBT 2019 – What’s new?
- Single Touch Payroll – NOW Mandatory for ALL Businesses
- Welcome your parents to join you in Australia with the NEW five year Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa
- Other Topics
- WORK RELATED CAR EXPENSES - WHAT'S LEGAL?
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PAY OFF YOUR DEBTS?
- Business Protection Insurance
- Aiming to Make a Final Non Concessional Superannuation Contribution for 2016? Be Careful!
- Getting Organized and Planning Effectively This EOFY
- New Withholding for Non Residents
- Four Per Cent Stamp Duty Surcharge for Overseas Investors Buying Residential Real Estate in NSW
- Co-Sourcing: An Alternative To Out-Sourcing
- What Small Business Expenses Can You Claim?
- Israeli Tax of Trusts
- New Superannuation Rules
- YML Group App - Coming Soon
- Obtaining a Business Skills Visa
- Quick Tips to Pay Off Your Mortgage Sooner
- FBT on Christmas Gifts and Tax Deductibility of Christmas Parties
- Changes to the Assets Test for Centrelink Aged Pensions from January 1st 2017
- Why You Should Consider Co-Sourcing for your Business
- Is It Worth Fixing Your Loan?
- Co- Sourcing
- Shareholder's Agreements
- FAMILY TRUST DEED VARIATION
- ENCOURAGING NEWS FOR Permanent residency (pr) APPLICANTS
- TSS has replaced 457 Visa Program – What is TSS?
- Introducing YML Migration
Despite recent news that Bitcoin values are swinging wildly, in a rapidly digital financial landscape, cryptocurrencies are becoming commonplace. A savvy investor will ensure that their company and they are at the forefront of taxation requirements on cryptocurrencies.
How a cryptocurrency is taxed depends on whether a cryptocurrency transaction is a capital asset or used as revenue and deciding on which one is important in order to minimise your tax liability.
Cryptocurrencies are independent and not regulated by any central authority.
Right now in the USA, the Securities and Exchange Commission has increased oversight on cryptocurrencies and the US Congress is considering how to treat digital coins.*
This could be a sign that regulations might be forthcoming and being aware of the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)’s views on cryptocurrency will help you develop your guidance strategy.
The ATO views Bitcoin as a Capital Gains Tax (CGT) asset. If your Bitcoin (or other form of cryptocurrency) is used for private consumption transactions and can be regarded as a personal asset, then it is unlikely to be taxed and no losses can be claimed. If, however, your Bitcoin (or other form of cryptocurrency) is acquired as an asset for future sale, then it is not considered to be a personal asset and any profit-from-sale is likely to be taxed.
It isn’t only Bitcoin that falls under Australia’s taxation rules - all your cryptocurrencies need to be appraised for taxation purposes. Furthermore, if you exchange one cryptocurrency, in form or unit, for another, then it is also likely a form of taxation will be applicable.
In the 2017-18 Federal Budget, the Australian government passed legislation which ensure that supplies of cryptocurrency are not generally subject to GST and this legislation applies to supplies of cryptocurrency made on or after 1 July 2017.
Broadly speaking, cryptocurrency is now treated similarly to money to avoid the double taxation that can arise when a cryptocurrency is used to pay for goods or services (such that GST on the supply of the cryptocurrency and, secondly, on the supply of goods or services).
Most importantly, before investing for your SMSF, consider strongly heeding the high-risk factor of cryptocurrencies because they are unregulated and blockchain-driven products.
If you are a trustee of an SMSF, you need to ensure that any investment in a cryptocurrency is in line with the investment strategy of the fund, that it is an appropriate investment and, critically, that the trust deed allows for its purchase at the time the investment is made.
There is no industry standard for valuations of Bitcoin, however it is fairly easy to come by an accurate price valuation by utilising an online cryptocurrency tool such as https://www.coindesk.com/price/ which can provide price movements at any given time, both in the present and historically.
To minimise your tax liability on the purchase, sale, exchange and/or use of a cryptocurrency, YML Group can review your holdings and advise you on best practice as cryptocurrencies look set to maintain their presence.
*’SMH’ 16 March 2018
How can YML help?
Talk to our Accountants today to see how YML Chartered Accountants can assist you with cryptocurrency taxation. Contact us on (02) 8383 4400 or by visiting the Contact Us page on our website.